March 12, 2020
Dear UUCCN Members and Friends,
The COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak has evolved very quickly this week, and the outlook in Nassau County is uncertain. After reviewing guidelines from the UUA and in consultation with our minister, Rev. Petra Thombs, the UUCCN board of trustees has suspended regular services, religious education, and other UUCCN gatherings effective immediately, until the end of March. At that time, we will reassess the situation and communicate with the UUCCN community.
We believe it is prudent to err on the side of caution as we seek to protect the health of all, especially the most vulnerable. UUA President Rev. Susan Frederick-Gray wrote, "This moment indeed reminds us of the interconnected web of which we are all a part. It also reminds us of our responsibility as religious communities to be mindful of our need to care for our whole community."
- Rev. Thombs is working to broadcast services online. Expect to hear more on his plans as they develop. You can also find Sunday service online via the Church of the Larger Fellowship at https://www.questformeaning.org/clfuu.
- If you need to meet, consider using a conference call or a videoconference program like Zoom. Our March board meeting will be via conference call this Sunday, March 15, at 12:30 p.m. If you would like to join the call, please email me via the office.
- Our building will remain accessible to individuals who need access for maintenance, office, and other work.
- Our office administrator will work from home regularly during this time.
- The March 22 Garden City Chamber Music concert has been canceled, as has the upcoming Sierra Club meeting on March 27.
Let's please support one another during this difficult time like we do so well. You can always share your news or concerns by contacting the UUCCN office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 516-248-8855).
I am so proud of this caring community of Unitarian Universalists. I know that we will help one another to weather this storm. Stay well!
UUCCN Board President